أنت تستخدم إصدار مستعرض قديمًا. الرجاء استخدام إصدار معتمد للحصول على أفضل تجربة MSN.

Youths pillage mosque in C.African Republic protest over church attack

شعار Reuters Reuters 29/05/2014 By Serge Leger Kokpakpa

By Serge Leger Kokpakpa

BANGUI (Reuters) - Youths in the Central African Republic plundered a mosque in the capital and barricaded streets with burning tyres on Thursday in protest at an attack by Muslim gunmen on a church that left about a dozen people dead, witnesses said.

Few people ventured onto the streets of Bangui because of the protests, which have heightened fears of further inter-religious violence and reprisals against the Muslims who remain in the city.

A Reuters witness saw youths from the mainly Christian anti-Balaka sack a mosque in the Lakouanga neighbourhood of the capital. There were no casualties as the mosque was empty.

The country has been gripped by ethnic and religious violence for a year since Seleka rebels, who are mostly Muslim, seized power.

The Seleka left power in January under international pressure and since then the mainly Christian "anti-balaka" militias have conducted retaliatory attacks on Muslims.

Those attacks have largely driven Muslims from the capital and other surrounding areas to the north and neighbouring countries, effectively partitioning Central African Republic whose northeast is controlled mainly by Muslim rebel forces.

Thousands have been killed and about a million people displaced because of the conflict. More than 2.5 million people need humanitarian aid, a figure that represents more than half the country's population.

Thursday's protests were a response to an attack a day earlier in which gunmen sprayed bullets and hurled grenades at people sheltering at the Our Lady of Fatima church following a battle between anti-balaka militia and residents of the nearby Muslim neighbourhood of PK5.

Sebastien Wenezoui, a leader of the anti-Balaka, accused international forces of abandoning the church to its attackers and singled out Burundian soldiers among the African peacekeeping force called MISCA as well as French soldiers who he said could have reacted faster to the initial onslaught. "It's very sad. What hurts us most is that France is here to protect the civilian population. MISCA is there to protect the population but when we called the Burundians they didn't come," he told Reuters by telephone.

CALL FOR DISARMAMENT

His comments were echoed by Catholic priest at the church Jonas Bekas who said peacekeepers were slow to respond to frantic calls he and other priests made from inside the church to say they were under attack. The attackers entered the church compound when its defenders, members of the anti-Balaka forces, ran out of ammunition and once inside they appeared to target women and children, he said. "If there's no disarmament we think they will attack us again," Bekas told Reuters, adding that he would remain at his post along with priests from Uganda, Ethiopia and Italy to offer shelter to civilians. "We hope that the situation changes but people need to be disarmed, especially the people who are killing other people," he said.

A spokesman for African Union MISCA peacekeeping force, Francis Che, denied the force had been slow to respond and said an investigation had been launched into what happened.

MISCA and French forces had already dismantled barricades erected on key highways, he said.

"People need to understand that we will crack down on them and bring them before national or international justice. We will have zero tolerance for the authors of this kind of act," Che told Reuters in reference to the church attack.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon