You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Top Stories

"We couldn't protect her": William and Harry explain why it's their duty to defend Princess Diana in death

Mirror logo Mirror 11/08/2017 Stephen Jones

Credits: AFP © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: AFP

William and Harry say that they believe they let their mother Princess Diana down when she died - sharing their frustration publicly for the first time that they "couldn't protect her".

The Princes are set to talk extensively about their mum, the nation's much loved 'Queen of hearts', in a new documentary to commemorate the 20th anniversary of her death.

In 'Diana, 7 Days' - which will screen on NBC in the US on Friday September 1 - they will for the first time share their initial reactions to the news she had been killed in a car crash in Paris on August 31 1997.

It been leaked that the sons will also share personal memories of their mother and talk about the happier times they all enjoyed together - as well as reflect more broadly on her life and what she meant to them both then and now.

Credits: Daily Mirror © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: Daily Mirror

Prince William says in the special: "Part of the reason why Harry and I want to do this is because we feel we owe it to her.

"I think an element of it is feeling like we let her down when we were younger. We couldn't protect her.

Credits: Press Association © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: Press Association

"We feel we at least owe her 20 years on to stand up for her name and remind everybody of the character and person that she was.

"Do our duties as sons in protecting her."

Credits: Reuters © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: Reuters

While much of the documentary is being kept under wraps, it's been revealed the sons will also share their memories of the extraordinary outpouring of public mourning as well as greeting the huge crowds of mourners.

They will also reveal their memories of the day of the funeral itself.

Credits: Tim Graham Photo Library © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: Tim Graham Photo Library

The documentary has been produced by the BBC - and appears to be the retitled 'Diana' which MirrorOnline wrote about in June, although there is no air date for it in the UK confirmed yet.

We reported then how Prince William and Prince Harry feel they "let down" their mother Diana in the wake of her tragic death 20 years ago.

Credits: PA © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: PA

William, who was 15 at the time, was known at the time to have given an emotional interview for a BBC documentary to air this summer.

In what was being touted as a revealing documentary, Harry was said to have said that both boys had been overwhelmed by the enormous response to Diana's death.

"When she died there was such an outpour of emotion and love which was quite, which was shocking," he says.

More from The Mirror

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon