You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Olympic boxer Adam Forsyth faces arrest over failure to appear at court

Canberra Times logo Canberra Times 26/05/2014 Megan Gorrey
Former Olympic boxer Adam Tony Forsyth leaves the ACT Supreme Court in 2012. © Stuart Walmsley Former Olympic boxer Adam Tony Forsyth leaves the ACT Supreme Court in 2012.

An arrest warrant has been issued for an Olympic boxer, who punched a truck driver in the head in a Fyshwick street, after he repeatedly failed to appear in court to be sentenced.

Adam Tony Forsyth, 33, pleaded not guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm after he bashed a man during a road-rage incident in 2007. 

The two men were involved in a violent confrontation after the truck driver beeped at Forsyth as he tried to park a car on Wollongong Street.

The heavyweight boxer, who was a quarter finalist in the Athens Olympics in 2004, stuck his middle-finger up at the truck driver and the men got out of their cars. 

The boxer dealt several blows to the man's head, which left him with a broken nose, chipped tooth and serious bruises.

His argument that he acted in self-defence was rejected by Justice Hilary Penfold, who found him guilty after trial last year. 

Forsyth, who lives interstate, failed to appear for sentencing last month.

He said he hadn't read his mail for three months and didn't know about the court appearance date.

The no-show prompted Justice Penfold to warn she would issue a warrant for Forsyth's arrest if he failed to appear again.

She kept her word when he didn't show up for sentencing in the ACT Supreme Court on Monday. 

The court heard Forysth had not made contact with his lawyers and that he faced charges in Western Australia, where it is believed he currently lives.

His lawyer was not aware of when those matters were before the courts.

Justice Penfold raised concerns over an initial arrest warrant prosecutors presented to the court, saying it might not be valid due to a technicality and could further draw out the process.

''This matter's been going on long enough as it is,'' she said.

She eventually granted the extradition order on the grounds Forysth had failed to appear.

Justice Penfold told solicitors if nothing happened soon she would call the matter back to court in the next few months. 

More From Canberra Times

Canberra Times
Canberra Times
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon