You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

British couple who died suddenly at Egyptian hotel were killed by E.coli, country's general prosecutor says

Daily Mail logo Daily Mail 12/09/2018 Richard Spillett for MailOnline

a man smiling for the camera: John, 69, and Susan Cooper, 64, died on August 21 after being taken ill at a Thomas Cook hotel in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada before their mysterious death © Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited John, 69, and Susan Cooper, 64, died on August 21 after being taken ill at a Thomas Cook hotel in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada before their mysterious death E.coli was a factor in the deaths of British couple who died in an Egyptian hotel, the country's general prosecutor has said.

John Cooper, 69, and his wife Susan, 64, died after being taken ill during a Thomas Cook holiday at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada. 

Initially, Thomas Cook said their deaths on 21 August were not caused by bacteria.

a woman sitting posing for the camera: Their daughter Kelly Ormerod (right) has previously said said vital clues may have been lost when cleaners and maintenance workers accessed the room soon after her parents died © Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited Their daughter Kelly Ormerod (right) has previously said said vital clues may have been lost when cleaners and maintenance workers accessed the room soon after her parents died Their daughter Kelly Ormerod, 40, claimed the pair from Burnley, Lancsashire, were 'fit and healthy' before the holiday and demanded further answers.

Now, their family have been told they were right.

Prosecutor Nabil Sadek said forensic tests showed that John Cooper suffered acute intestinal dysentery caused by e.coli, and Susan Cooper suffered Hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS), likely because of e.Coli.

He says the couple's bodies showed 'no criminal violence' and other tests on air and water at the hotel found nothing unusual.

Thomas Cook evacuated 300 guests from the hotel as a precaution after the Coopers died.

Related slideshow: History's unsolved mysteries

More From Daily Mail

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon