You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

'The war is starting now in your streets': Pro-Islamic State channels stoke fear ahead of 'Night of Power'

9News.com.au logo 9News.com.au 19/06/2017 Mark Saunokonoko

Pro-Islamic State propaganda channels have seized upon the deadly van attack on Muslim worshippers outside a London mosque and urged ISIS supporters to "wake up" for war on the streets.

There are unconfirmed suggestions the driver of the white van who mowed down pedestrians causing one confirmed death and a number of casualties was not Muslim.

The incident in London, a city still reeling from June 3 London Bridge attack, will further stoke fears ahead of a significant day looming in the Ramadan calendar known as the "Night of Power".

If bloody events in 2016 are an indicator, Islamic State will look to double down its campaign of terror on Laylat al-Qadr, also known as Night of Power, which is set to fall on June 21.

Michael S. Smith II, a US counter-terror analyst, has observed activity on pro-Islamic State channels today urging a violent response to the ugly van attack on innocent Muslim worshipers.

One suspect was arrested at the scene in Finsbury Park, north London, after being wrestled to the ground by members of the public, according to early witness reports.

A pro-IS message on encrypted app Telegram contrasted the arrest at Finsbury Park against the 50 rounds fired by police to kill the three ISIS jihadists who carried out the London Bridge attack.

"When your brothers took revenge on the Crusader nationals for the slaughter they are carrying out on the Muslims they were shot on site (sic) by the British Police," the message read.

"Then how come the police never shot a Kafir (derogatory word for non-Muslim)," the post continued, referencing today's arrest.

"You need to wake up the war is starting now in your own streets outside your own Masajids (mosques).

"Your elders could be killed, your sisters could be attacked."

Officials are yet to call today's incident a terror attack but witness accounts suggest that Muslims were clearly and deliberately targeted by the van.

A spokesperson from The Ramadhan Foundation, a Muslim organisation which speaks out against extremism, said today's incident was an "act of terrorism".

After leaving the van and being wrestled to the ground the suspect reportedly screamed: "I'm going to kill all Muslims."

Abdulrahman Saleh Alamoudi told BuzzFeed News he saw up to 10 people get injured by a "big van".

"He was screaming, he was saying, 'I'm going to kill all Muslims, I'm going to kill all Muslims'. He was throwing punches.

"Then we managed to get him on the floor. Then he was saying, 'Kill me, kill me'. I said, 'We are not going to kill you. Why did you do that?' He wouldn't say anything."

Another witness, Abdikadar Warfa, said most people struck by the van near the UKCG Help Centre at the junction of Tollington and Seven Sisters Road were young.

He added people had to lift the vehicle off a bloodied victim.

Counter-terror agencies in Australia and across the West are on high alert for the Night of Power, set to occur in two days' time.

Laylat al-Qadr falls on the 27th day of each Ramadan month and holds special importance to many Muslims.

The Night of Power is when the first verses of the Quran were revealed to Mohammed in the 7th century, according to some Islamic scholars.

Laylat al-Qadr is seen as a good night for prayers to be made and answered. It is also an opportunity for carefully crafted Islamic State propaganda to shape terrorist attacks as a religious duty.

Last year, when the Night of Power fell on July 2, IS terrorists burst into a restaurant in Dhaka, Bangladesh, a venue popular with foreigners.

They butchered 20 people with long knives.

Nine Italians, seven Japanese, two Indians, an American and Bangladeshi were slaughtered after they were unable to recite verses of the Quran to the attackers.

The same day, IS claimed responsibility for a massive truck bomb that killed more than 200 when it exploded in a Baghdad shopping district.

In 2013, many US embassies across the Middle East closed their doors and kept staff at home on Laylat al-Qadr because of "security considerations".

More From 9News.com.au

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon