You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

This Mom Has An Urgent Warning For Parents After Her Son Was Severely Injured By a Vacuum

Woman's Day logo Woman's Day 2017-03-18 Kelly O'Sullivan

This Mom Is Warning Parents After Her Son Was Severely Injured By a Vacuum Cleaner © Provided by Woman's Day This Mom Is Warning Parents After Her Son Was Severely Injured By a Vacuum Cleaner Vacuum cleaners are such common household appliances, it's easy to overlook how potentially dangerous they can be.

One distraught mother is urging parents to be cautious with their children around the vacuum after a simple accident left her 16-month-old son, Theo, with fourth degree burns.

Jade Bishop took to Facebook to share disturbing photos of her child's blistering hand after he turned the vacuum on and got his fingers caught in the bottom. At the time of the incident, the inquisitive toddler had been following Jade around the house while she cleaned. She shut the appliance off and turned her back on her son to unplug it from the wall, and in that instant he turned it back on and disaster struck.


"[I turned] my head to hear him screaming, I yank the plug from the wall and he has managed to put his thumb in the bottom of the Dyson where the bristles spin at a crazy speed," Jade wrote in her viral post. "I go to him quicker than I ever have to see he's got a nasty looking burn on his hand!"

Plastic surgeons and burn specialists at the hospital told Theo's mom that his injuries could be worse than she had thought. In addition to the fourth degree burns, the baby may also have exposed tendons-which could require skin grafts and surgery in the future.

"Please, please, please do not let your children near the vacuum cleaners! After talking with my nurse and her telling me just how common this kind of burn is, it makes you realize that: A) I'm not the world's worst mom . . . B) We are not the first and we won't be the last!" she warned.

The photos of Theo's injury are graphic, but they are a harsh reminder of the dangers to our kids lurking in our own homes. 

(h/t PopSugar)

AdChoices

More from Woman's Day

AdChoices
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon