You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Pentagon contradicts President Trump, says he wasn't given military parade cost estimate before canceling it

New York Daily News logo New York Daily News 2018-08-20
a man wearing a suit and tie standing next to a woman © J. Scott Applewhite / AP

Defense officials didn’t brief President Trump on cost estimates for his long-desired military parade before he cancelled it last week, the Pentagon announced Monday, seemingly contradicting the President’s own statements on the matter.

“The President was not briefed by any member of the Department of Defense on any cost associated with the parade,” Col. Rob Manning told reporters at the Pentagon.

Manning’s announcement appears to be at odds with what Trump said after media outlets reported last week that the military extravaganza, which was originally planned for Nov. 10, could set taxpayers back $92 million.

“The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when the see it,” Trump tweeted Friday. “When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it.”

A White House spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Pentagon cancelled Trump’s controversial parade on Thursday and announced it was looking into “opportunities in 2019” to throw the armed spectacle in the nation’s capital.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from New York Daily News

New York Daily News
New York Daily News
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon