You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

CIA tried to kill Fidel Castro with poison pen on day of Kennedy's assassination, JFK files reveal

Evening Standard logo Evening Standard 2017-11-10 Tom Powell
UP NEXT
UP NEXT

Related: JFK files: First look at records open new questions (Provided by FOX News)

The CIA was working to kill Fidel Castro on the day John F Kennedy was assassinated, newly released files reveal.

The latest batch of JFK documents, published online on Thursday, contain details of a US plot to kill the Cuban leader with a lethal ballpoint pen.

Fidel Castro et al. in uniform © Provided by Independent Print Limited

President Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas on November 22, 1963. On the same day, a CIA officer in Paris gave a Cuban asset a pen rigged with a syringe.

“The evidence indicates that the meeting was under way at the very moment President Kennedy was shot”, the document says.

a group of people riding on the back of a car: jfkassinationcar2610a.jpg © Provided by Independent Print Limited jfkassinationcar2610a.jpg

The plot was one of many considered by US defence forces to remove Castro, who was feared by Kennedy, as detailed in the files.

“We cannot overemphasize the extent to which responsible Agency officers felt themselves subject to the Kennedy administration’s severe pressures to do something about Castro and his regime”, the report says.

a screenshot of a cell phone: jfkfile.jpg © Provided by Independent Print Limited jfkfile.jpg

The release of more than 13,000 records by the US National Archives is the fourth release of documents this year.

Most of the overall collection comprising about five million pages of records has been released to the public, but some documents have been withheld over the years to protect individuals, intelligence sources and methods and national security.

The latest documents are being released according to a law that President George H.W. Bush signed on October 26 1992.

That law required all records related to the assassination be released within 25 years, unless the president says doing so would harm intelligence, law enforcement, military operations or foreign relations.

Last month, on the 25-year deadline, President Donald Trump wrote in a memorandum that he had "no choice" but to agree to requests from some government agencies to continue withholding certain information.

Mr Trump, however, directed agencies to again review each of their redactions during the next 180 days.

He said agency heads needed to be extremely circumspect in recommending that information still needed to be withheld from the public.

Government agencies have until March to tell the National Archives why any part of their records should still be redacted.

The records included in this latest public release have not yet been re-reviewed by the agencies as part of that process.

Conspiracy theorists have long questioned the official conclusion that Mr Kennedy was murdered in Dallas by Lee Harvey Oswald and that he was acting alone. 

Never miss an important story, Follow us on Facebook, and on Twitter

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from Evening Standard

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon