You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Dog owners asked to reconsider cleaning habits to prevent further illness in pets

Country Living (UK) logo Country Living (UK) 14/01/2020 Lisa Walden
a dog that is standing in the kitchen: Pet owners are being warned after one dog was poisoned by the popular scented disinfectant, Zoflora. On Facebook, Donna Brydon explained what happened. © Cavan Images - Getty Images Pet owners are being warned after one dog was poisoned by the popular scented disinfectant, Zoflora. On Facebook, Donna Brydon explained what happened.

Pet owners are being warned after a dog has been poisoned by the popular scented disinfectant, Zoflora.

The cleaning product, which has been hailed by cleaning Instagram sensation, Mrs Hinch, is commonly used to clean many areas in the home. However, its main ingredient, benzalkonium chloride, can be particularly dangerous to pets if they lick it off the floor or their fur.

Sharing a post on Facebook, Donna Brydon explained that she noticed her pup wasn't responding like usual, after she ingested the cleaning product. "I thought my poor furbaby was on her way out. She was so sleepy and her eye swelled up. Straight to the vet and this was the answer," reports The Metro.

Gallery: The top trending dog breeds of 2019, according to Google [INSIDER]

"Thankfully the medication the vet gave her has made her feel so much better," she said.

Cats and dogs are regularly exposed to cleaning products, particularly if they walk on the floor where disinfectant has been sprayed. Experts now want to raise awareness around the potential dangers of cleaning items, and are encouraging people to ensure they are properly rinsed off after use.

According to research conducted by Ark Vets, cleaning ingredients are relatively safe when sprayed at low doses, however it can become severe if dogs and cats get it on their fur and repeatedly lick it off.

Getty © Getty Getty

"Mild cases will respond well to pain relief and antibiotics, but more severe cases may need intravenous fluids and possibly even a feeding tube placed to ensure they get adequate nutrition until the mouth has healed," explain the vets at Ark Vets.

If your pet has come into contact with the benzalkonium chloride ingredient, some of the tell-tale signs to spot include...

  1. Burns in the mouth
  2. Drooling
  3. Loss of appetite
  4. Lethargy
  5. Pawing at the mouth
Getty © Getty Getty

Always head to the vet to get expert advice regarding your pet's health if you are unsure.

MSN UK is committed to Empowering the Planet and taking urgent action to protect our environment against the climate crisis. We’re supporting those on the front line tackling the Australian bushfire crisis. Find out more about our campaign here.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from Country Living

Country Living (UK)
Country Living (UK)
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon