You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Residents at war over plans to demolish home to build a CYCLE PATH

Daily Mail logo Daily Mail 3 days ago Antonia Paget For Mailonline
a group of people standing in front of a house: MailOnline logo © Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logo

Developers proposing to demolish a 'perfectly good' house to make way for a cycle path have reportedly bought the home for £80,000 more than its market value. 

The four-bedroom private home, which is less than 20 years old, could be destroyed to create a controversial cycle route which will pass through the close to a new 'affordable' housing development on an adjacent site. 

The move has prompted outrage from neighbours who say plans to flatten the house will change the 'way of life' in their 50–home leafy suburban cul-de-sac on the outskirts of Cardiff, South Wales.

Homeowners Paul and Janice Snelgrove have reportedly agreed to sell the home for £400,000 - a 'generous' mark up on the property's market value - to property developers Edenstone Homes.  

Neighbours in the 50–home cul-de-sac, Clos Nant Glaswg in Pontprenau, say they are 'disappointed' that Paul and Janice Snelgrove have agreed to the deal, but add that they do not blame them for accepting. 

The Snelgroves, who own a garage business in the city and are in their late 50s, bought the four-bed detached, red brick house for around £112,000 in 2001, just five years after it had been built.   

The destruction order for the house is included as part of plans for 45 new affordable housing homes next to their existing private houses on the outskirts of Cardiff.

When demolishing existing homes and buildings, developers can either obtain a compulsory purchase order, or reach an amicable agreement with the owners of the home or building in question. 

The plans are due to go before Cardiff planning committee on April 21. Any destruction order will only come into play if the plans for the whole site are approved.  

a car parked in front of a house: The £300,000-plus house in a suburban cul-de-sac on the outskirts of Cardiff, Wales, is set to be destroyed to make way for a cycle lane

The £300,000-plus house in a suburban cul-de-sac on the outskirts of Cardiff, Wales, is set to be destroyed to make way for a cycle lane
© Provided by Daily Mail

Families say they are not against the new development but do not want the cycle path to run through their quiet suburban cul-de-sac.

A petition to 'Save Number 43' has now been signed by nearly 300 people to call on Cardiff Council to reject the pathway plans in the Pontprennau suburb of commuter homes.

Neighbours say they are 'disappointed' that Paul and Janice Snelgrove have agreed to the deal, but add that they do not blame them for accepting.  

Vaughan Williams, who helped set up an action group to fight the housing development and cycle path which cuts through the close, said: 'I spoke to Paul shortly after the plans for the cycle path were submitted to Cardiff council. 

'I asked Paul how he felt about the proposed demolition of his home and he said he had reluctantly agreed to sell and accept £400,000 for it to be demolished.  

'I don't blame Paul and Janice for accepting. It is a generous offer – £80,000 above its actual market value – but I am disappointed.' 

Vaughan and Alison Williams are both retired and have lived at their home for over 20 years, but say they will now consider moving. 

Retired fish and chip shop owner and father-of-four Mr Williams, 63, added: 'No one around here blames them for agreeing to the offer. 

'The alleyway created by the cycle path will threaten our safety and security and is utterly pointless, as far as I can see.' 

Paul Cawley, 61, has also lived in the area for 17 years and says planners have not considered the community in their plans to flatten the home for a cycle path.

He said: 'We have a great community spirit here everybody is aware of who is coming and going. I have numerous concerns regarding the demolition [but] I'm not opposed to the housing development.

'I don't think the road is particularly safe for cyclists due to the junction at the bottom. It is ill-conceived and ill-thought through.

'I'd like the application to be rejected, the planners haven't considered us.'

diagram: A petition to 'Save Number 43' has now been signed by nearly 300 people to call on Cardiff Council to reject the pathway plans in the Pontprennau suburb of commuter homes © Provided by Daily Mail A petition to 'Save Number 43' has now been signed by nearly 300 people to call on Cardiff Council to reject the pathway plans in the Pontprennau suburb of commuter homes a truck is parked in front of a building: Families say they are not against the new development but do not want the cycle path to run through their quiet suburban cul-de-sac © Provided by Daily Mail Families say they are not against the new development but do not want the cycle path to run through their quiet suburban cul-de-sac

The neigbours deny being 'not in my backyard' nimbys trying to block the people living in the affordable homes.

Action group chairman Rob Lee said: 'Even if you build five-bedroom luxury houses we would oppose the plan, if it involved the demolition of one of our homes and destroying our way of life'.

Residents also raised issues of the isolated nature of the development which is 'plonked 'among fields with no amenities or connectivity.'

Mr Lee said: 'This lets people in affordable housing down.'

Another neighbour, 44-year-old design manager Jason Jeffrey, called the proposals 'ill-informed and ill-conceived', adding: 'It will negatively affect the environment here.'

He said: 'I understand the need for the affordable housing that is proposed, and that developments nowadays should be as environmentally friendly as possible, but this path for cycles won't connect the new community to any local amenities. It will only connect them to this close, so what's the point? 

'And I also question the notion of demolishing a perfectly habitable house to make way for this cycle path. I thought our country has a housing shortage. This is crazy.'

Residents fear they will not get a fair hearing as Cardiff City planners 'seem to have made up their minds' on the application which is not due to be heard until April 21.

A spokesperson for Cardiff Council said: 'This application hasn't been determined yet.

'As [the Planning Authority] we obviously consider all objections and comments made on the proposal, which is then set out by the case officer in a decision report which is presented to the Planning Committee when the case is due to be heard.

They added: 'There is a specific process, and what we cannot do is predetermine that process before the planning committee reach their decision.' 

Developers United Welsh say it is important for the new builds to 'integrate well' with the community.

A spokesman said: 'This development will provide much needed high-quality homes for affordable rent and first-time buyers.

'It is important for the proposed new homes to integrate well with the community and for pedestrians and cyclists to have adequate access to local facilities and amenities.

'Local residents are being consulted as part of the planning process.' 

Mail Online have contacted Edenstone Homes and developers United Welsh for comment. 

Read more
AdChoices
AdChoices

More From Daily Mail

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon