You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Historic Stalybridge pub could be converted into six-bed house as new plans launched

Manchester Evening News logo Manchester Evening News 14/01/2022 Charlotte Green

New plans to convert a former Stalybridge pub into a shared house have been lodged after previous proposals for apartments were rejected.

Daniel Crowther from Paved Way Ltd has applied to Tameside council to turn the Traveller’s Call public house into a six-bedroom shared house in a ‘Victorian style’.

A blue plaque on the building which commemorates the life of soldier John Buckley who was awarded the Victoria Cross from Queen Victoria, would be retained in its current position.

READ MORE: The Greater Manchester suburb where children have to use McDonald's Wi-Fi to do their homework

According to the design and access statement, the dwellings would be ‘affordable accommodation’, with a ground floor lounge and kitchen facilities and bedrooms on the first floor.

A previous application to convert the pub on Wakefield Road into eight, two bedroom apartments was rejected by the town hall after officers said the redevelopment would be ‘incongruous’.

There had been four objections to those proposals, which would have seen an additional storey added to the building.

The pub is currently vacant and was last used in 2019, according to planning documents.

The new prospective developer Mr Crowther says they intend to return the front and rear of the property ‘back to their original vista’.

He states: “Although the current premises have been used commercially, the function is no longer tenable and the property has fallen into disrepair.

“This seems a good opportunity to re-introduce an affordable housing facility back into the area it was originally intended.

“It would be in keeping with the remaining properties on Wakefield Road, George Street and the existing surrounding areas.

“We believe that this proposal, along with a structured development, will approve the appearance and safety around this area.

“We feel in recognition and in line with the regeneration in this area the proposal does allow for the merits of an affordable residential scheme.”

There have been no public comments on the proposals.

A determination date by the planning authority on the application has been tabled as May 1 this year.

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from Manchester Evening News

Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon