You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Girl, 9, dies after bite of pancake cooked by dad who had to kiss her goodbye and turn off life-support machine

Mirror logo Mirror 5 days ago Laura Abernethy

© Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited The devastated parents of a nine-year-old girl who died after eating one bite of a pancake have relived their heartbreak as they kissed her goodbye.

Nainika Tikoo, from Harrow, north west London, had her life support switched off on May 25 this year, five days after a severe anaphylactic reaction to the lunch her father had cooked for her.

Her dad Vinod frantically tried to revive her, dialing 999 and calling her mum Lakshmi, 37. She rushed home to find her daughter lying on the floor turning blue as she battled for life.

The pair now spend their time campaigning for better awareness and treatment for allergies , and say they didn't feel fully equipped to deal with their daughter's diagnoses.

Although they knew she was allergic to dairy, eggs, and sensitive to soya - and kept their home free from those ingredients - they think something may have been contaminated in the meal Vinod gave her.

Credits: PA Real Life © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: PA Real Life

Lakshmi, a political consultant, explained her husband called her on May 20, when Nainika had eaten the pancakes, howling 'Please come home and save her'.

The 37-year-old said: "I rushed home and walked into a scene where she was stripped and lying on the floor, almost blue and paramedics were trying desperately to resuscitate her.

“They rushed her to Northwick hospital, northwest London. After trying for an hour, her pulse came back but she had been starved of oxygen and there was a lot of irreversible damage.

"I think at that point, I didn't understand what that meant. I was thinking paralysis or disability but that she would bounce back eventually. They took her to ICU and told us it wasn't looking good, but I was still thinking she would be treated and get better."

Two days after the reaction, at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, she was declared brain dead, though her heart was still beating so she was kept on a ventilator.

Her parents had to make the agonising decision to switch off the support on May 25.

Nainika had struggled with allergies since she was a baby , but they had never been deemed ‘high risk,’ according to her mum.

Lakshmi said: “For that reason, we had never seen an allergist. We don’t blame anyone for Nainika’s death, but we do wish that there had been more awareness about allergies and we’re determined to speak out in her name to stop any other families from going through this devastating pain.”

Exclusively breastfed from birth, it wasn't until Nainika was six months old that her parents discovered her food allergies.

Her mother explained: “We are of the Hindu faith and at around six months old, we hold a ceremony called an Annaprashana to mark a baby starting to have solid food.

Credits: PA Real Life © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: PA Real Life

“There is a small ceremony, where you give babies rice milk. Nainika just had a few spoonfuls and it caused a reaction. We didn't know at that point that you could be allergic to dairy, but her whole body started swelling up.”

About 30 minutes after getting home, the couple also noticed a blotchy red rash all over their baby’s body and rushed her to Queen’s Medical Centre hospital in Nottingham, where they were living at the time.

Lakshmi said: “The doctor sat down with us and said that it looked like she had a dairy allergy. We had no idea that there was something like that. They said that the allergy was so severe that she couldn't be in the same room if you were boiling milk or something like that.”

Doctors performed a prick test, to determine if there were any other common foods that Nainika was allergic to.

“It showed that she was sensitive to soya and allergic to dairy and eggs. From that point, we just learnt to cut them out,” Lakshmi explained.

When Nainika turned three, she started experiencing breathlessness and wheezing at night and. After going back to their doctor she was diagnosed with asthma.

“She was given inhalers and we had checkups every year, but her allergies weren't judged to be high risk and we didn't get much advice about that,” said Lakshmi.

Over the years, the family learnt to control Nainika’s condition with a restricted diet, but towards the end of 2015, after accidentally eating some milk chocolate buttons at school, she suffered a severe reaction.

Credits: PA Real Life © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: PA Real Life

Lakshmi added: “About a year and a half back, she accidentally consumed chocolate dairy buttons. She had a severe reaction and stopped breathing for a few seconds.

“She was rushed to hospital and they treated her for the allergy. That was the first time that she was prescribed an EpiPen, used for the emergency treatment of anaphylaxis, and they told me how to use it, but we didn't realise things like that you can use more than one if the first one doesn't work.

“We were never given formal training and my husband wasn't with us, so they relied on me showing him what to do.

“One of the last conversations my husband had with Nainika was when he took the EpiPen out, and she said, 'Dad you haven't been trained in how to use it.'

“He reassured her that he would read the instructions and it would be ok. Fortunately, he used it properly, but he could have done it wrong and that is so dangerous.”

After the chocolate buttons incident, Nainika’s parents continued to control her over the following months and she had no more major reactions until the one that so tragically took her life.

Credits: PA Real Life © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: PA Real Life

Lakshmi continued: “May 20 was a normal Saturday morning. She'd finished her weekly horse riding lesson and was hungry so had asked her dad if they could have some pancakes.

"On the way home, they picked up flour and she asked if she could have some blackberries with it. She had never had them before, but wanted to try some.

“My husband made dairy-free pancakes, like he would normally, but with a few blackberries sliced up. She had one bite of that pancake and she reacted pretty violently. The rash came up and she started swelling. He gave her Piriton, anti-allergy medicine, her inhaler and more Piriton.

“Then he felt she was getting really bad, so he gave her the EpiPen and called the ambulance. He had to start giving her mouth to mouth and the ambulance arrived in just a few minutes. She had lost her pulse by that time and they tried to resuscitate her.”

Lakshmi rushed home from work, finding her little girl lying on the floor, as the paramedics tried to save her.

Two days later, after waiting for family to arrive, the couple kissed their little girl goodbye.

Before they let her go, they ran a prick test and discovered that she was mildly allergic to blackberries.

Lakshmi said: “The doctor said it looked like it wasn't the blackberry on its own, but there was something to do with dairy. The pancakes were dairy free, but we're not sure if the ingredients had been contaminated or something.

"We didn't have any dairy products at home. The exact cause is unknown and it has left us with a lot of questions.”

Credits: PA Real Life © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: PA Real Life

After her death, Lakshmi and Vinood set up a foundation in their daughter’s name to try and raise awareness and funding for allergy research.

She said: “We set up a JustGiving page, so people could donate in lieu of flowers for the funeral. We were amazed when we raised about £2,000 in an hour. Then we increased the target and we just kept exceeding it. We raised a total of £14,000.

“Since Nainika’s death, we have realised a lot of parents are struggling with their children's allergies and we needed to do something to help.

“We want to create awareness material, contribute to research projects and get the message out there.

"We don’t know if there’s anything we could have done to prevent Nainika’s death, but we can make sure that parents know where to get help, we might be able to stop this happening to another family.

“We are just parents. We aren't experts. We just want to ask questions to change the attitudes towards allergies and help to save lives.”


AdChoices
AdChoices

More from The Mirror

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon