By using this service and related content, you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads.
You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Top Stories

London Eye: 'Freezing' passengers left stranded mid-air for hours after ferris-wheel broke down

Evening Standard logo Evening Standard 02/10/2016 Jamie Bullen

© Provided by Independent Print Limited London Eye passengers were left stranded mid-air for several hours last night after it broke down following a fault.

Hungry and cold customers inside the iconic ferris-wheel tweeted pictures of people wrapped in thermal blankets while waiting for it to restart.

Adil Raja, 33, who was on the wheel with his wife when the ride stalled, tweeted: “Stranded in capsule 4 more than an hour. Emergency blankets out, no food or milk for babies. #freezingcold”.

He told the Standard: "We were right at the top when it stopped, it stalled and then it stopped.At first everyone was laughing about it but as time went on people started to become anxious.

"There was 22 people in our pod but only five or six emergency blankets, bottles of water and glucose tablets. I was furious we had no food and it was very cold. I was at the top for three hours."

London Fire Brigade was sent to the South Bank just before 10pm but the technical fault was believed to have happened at around 7pm.

It said the fault was resolved at around 11pm before all passengers safely disembarked.

A LFB spokesperson said: “A number of guests had become stuck on the Eye’s pods following a technical fault.

“Thankfully the London Eye mechanical team rectified the problem and got the wheel turning so all guests could safely disembark before any action was required by our crews.”

Glenn Fidock, 45, told the Sun he was with his wife and two children when the wheel came to a “juddering halt”.

He said: “People were crying and it was freezing cold because they couldn’t turn off the air conditioning.

“The Eye was making all sorts of funny noises, really screeching before stopping. Nobody knew what was going on.

“Engineers were scrambling up the stairs like madmen but it didn’t look like they had a clue what was wrong.”

Mr Fidock told the newspaper he got off after two hours.

A Merlin Entertainments spokeswoman said: "All guests were offered a full refund, refreshments and other welfare support required.

"We have now ensured that all guests have been spoken with and refunds and information are being processed. We will be following up with each of them in more detail via our London Eye Customer Services team."


More from Evening Standard

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon