You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Thornton Heath explosion: Evacuated residents told when they can return to homes

MyLondon logo MyLondon 16/08/2022 Hannah Cottrell

Hundreds of residents of a South London street where an explosion killed a child last week will begin returning to their homes on imminently, the gas supplier has said.

More than 500 people were evacuated from Galpin’s Road in Thornton Heath after a blast destroyed a terraced house and killed four-year-old Sahara Salman shortly after 7am on August 8. Three other people were seriously injured, including an 11-year-old boy and a 54-year-old woman.

Southern Gas Networks (SGN) declared the area safe on Tuesday (August 16). An SGN spokesman said: “Our engineering teams have now completed work in Galpin’s Road, Thornton Heath, to disconnect a section of our gas network in support of the ongoing police investigation."

READ MORE: Gas company donates £500,000 to help evacuated Thornton Heath residents

Southern Gas Networks (SGN) declared the area was safe today, Tuesday August 16 © PA Wire/PA Images Southern Gas Networks (SGN) declared the area was safe today, Tuesday August 16

The spokesman added: “Residents will start to return home tomorrow [Wednesday, August 17] in an operation managed by Merton Council, however this will take time due to the need to complete safety checks on all properties.”

Merton Council said that almost all residents, most of whom have been staying in hotels for more than a week, would be returning from Wednesday, with the exception of those from a handful of houses closest to the blast. House number 255 was completely destroyed by the explosion, while two neighbouring terraced homes suffered extensive damage and several more had smashed windows.

SGN previously donated £500,000 to help the council support affected neighbours. At a community meeting last week attended by an SGN representative, angry residents accused the firm of having “blood on their hands”, and said they made at least 18 calls reporting gas smells in the days before the explosion.

The Metropolitan Police ’s Specialist Crime Command has launched a criminal investigation.

Have you been affected by the evacuation? Share your experience by emailing mylondonnewsdesk@reachplc.com.

Do you want the latest London travel, crime or transport news straight to your inbox? It only takes a few seconds! Click here.

READ NEXT:

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from MyLondon

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon