You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

+Sports Top Stories

Andy Murray pulls out of Marseille tournament as he weighs up hip surgery

The Guardian logo The Guardian 18/01/2019 Kevin Mitchell at Melbourne Park
Andy Murray wearing a black shirt is holding a racket and a ball: Andy Murray looks on during his five-set first round defeat by Roberto Batista Agut at the Australian Open earlier this week. © Action Plus via Getty Images Andy Murray looks on during his five-set first round defeat by Roberto Batista Agut at the Australian Open earlier this week.

Fevered speculation about Andy Murray’s retirement plans refuses to die down just days after his early exit from the Australian Open, and his team on Friday were forced to deny that he has already committed to having surgery on his hip.

The former world No1 probably will have an operation to resurface the hip bone, using a metal implant, but organisers of the Marseille tournament from which he has withdrawn made the false assumption in an announcement that he had already decided to do so.

Video: Murray on his dilemma (Sky News)

UP NEXT
UP NEXT

A spokesman for Murray said: “No decision has been made about an operation, but he had already decided to withdraw from all tournaments. He will make a further announcement within a week or so.”

Download the Microsoft News app for your Android or iPhone device and get news & live updates on the go.

The Marseille tournament press release had said: “Still suffering from hip pain, Andy Murray will undergo further surgery and therefore had to forfeit upcoming tournaments, including the Open 13 Provence.”

It quoted Murray as saying: “It’s a blow, but I have no choice.”

The American doubles great Bob Bryan, who is playing at the Australian Open five months after undergoing the same operation Murray would have, said this week that he expected the 31-year-old would have the surgery.

“I’m really the only guy to be playing on tour with a metal hip,” Bryan said. “So he’s been watching me like a hawk, asking me how I’m feeling after matches, after practices, where I’m at. He’s trying to gauge how long it would take him, if this procedure is an option."

The Open 13 Provence in Marseille starts on February 19 and Murray will also not play in Montpellier or Dubai next month. He will be replaced in the draw at the Open 13 by Tomas Berdych.

Gallery: Murray's most memorable matches (Read Sport)

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from The Guardian

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon