By using this service and related content, you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads.
You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Company director banned from job for seven years after 'significant misconduct and loss to the taxpayer'

Independent.ie logo Independent.ie 6 days ago Tim Healy

Jay Bourke © Provided by Irish Independent Jay Bourke RESTAURATEUR and publican Jay Bourke has been disqualified by the High Court from acting as a company director for seven years.

Mr Bourke had earlier this year agreed to a disqualification period of five years arising out of the liquidation of his now closed Shebeen Chic pub on South Great George's Street in Dublin.

However Mr Justice Robert Haughton said the focus of the misconduct by Mr Bourke in this case must be that he had continued to trade for some two years after he knew the operating company was insolvent.

"He attempted to trade out of difficulties but did so for far too long and eventually Revenue petitioned for a winding up in December 2012", the judge said.

There was an eventual VAT liability of €105,000, showing a very significant revenue which was not reflected in the books and records of the company, he said. 

It had been accepted by Mr Bourke that books and records were not kept or provided and there was also a failure to make annual returns.

This was "significant misconduct and a significant loss to the taxpayer", he said.

It seemed to the judge that taking all factors into account, the appropriate disqualification period was eight years.

He deducted one year deducted for Mr Bourke's acceptance of his behaviour after the liquidator's grounding affidavit was filed and because a number of other sanctions originally sought against him had been withdrawn.

Earlier, the judge noted a claim of reckless trading against Mr Bourke had been withdrawn.

After hearing Mr Bourke was a director of 14 companies and needed a little time to resign those directorships, the judge agreed to put a stay on his order until August 1.  

Those other directorships include Panti Bar and Bobos Burgers in Dublin.

More: Today's front page headlines from the national newspapers [Irish Press Titles]

Irish Independent - Edition 17.07.2017 Irish Press Titles - See today's covers of major newspapers in Ireland

AdChoices
AdChoices

More from Independent.ie

Independent.ie
Independent.ie
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon