You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

No criminal charges to be brought over horror Carrickmines blaze that killed 10 family members including unborn child

Dublin Live logo Dublin Live 09/08/2018 Louise Roseingrave

a group of people posing for the camera: Tara Gilbert, Willy Lynch, their children Kelsey and Jody, and Thomas Connors and his wife Sylvia all died in the blaze © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Tara Gilbert, Willy Lynch, their children Kelsey and Jody, and Thomas Connors and his wife Sylvia all died in the blaze No criminal charges will be brought in relation to the horror Carrickmines halting site blaze that tragically took the lives of 10 family members including an expectant mother.

Five adults, five children and an unborn baby died following the fire in the early hours of October 10 2015.

The victims died due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Director of Public Prosecutions made her decision following the submission of a case file on the horror fire by An Garda Siochana.

There were no family members of the victims present at Dublin Coroner’s Court as Detective Inspector Martin Creighton informed the coroner of the DPP’s decision.

a man standing in front of a building © Credits: Stephen Collins/Collins Photos

The full inquest into the deaths will be heard before a jury over a two week period early next year.

Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane issued provisional dates for the inquest hearing to take place in January. The coroner’s office will now work with Dun Laoghaire County Council, Gardai and Dublin Fire Brigade to draw up a list of witnesses to give evidence.

The victims were Thomas Connors, 27, his wife Sylvia, 30, and their children Jim, 5, Christy, 3, and six-month-old Mary. Willy Lynch, 25, and his partner Tara Gilbert, 27, who was pregnant, and their daughters Jodie, 9, and Kelsey, age four also perished. Willy's brother Jimmy Lynch, 39, also died in the blaze.

The victims were residents of Glenamuck Halting site in Carrickmines, Dublin 24.

a motorcycle is parked in front of a tree © Credits: Steve Collins

The five adults and four of the children were identified using DNA evidence with the assistance of Dr Alan Magee.

Six-month-old baby Mary Connors was formally identified by her relative, Dan Connors at the Children's Accident and Emergency Department at Tallaght Hospital in Dublin 24.

The ten post-mortem examinations were carried out by State Pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy and Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster.

a person riding a motorcycle on a city street © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited

The cause of death returned for all ten victims of the blaze was acute carbon monoxide poisoning due to smoke inhalation due to a fire.

A legal representative for Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council was represented at the short inquest hearing.

a group of people standing around a fire © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited

The DPP’s office had issued a number of queries to Gardai based on the file submitted and consideration of the issue continued for a number of months.

DI Creighton told the court the DPP’s decision had been received and circulated to all parties.

“I am now in a position to hear the inquest which will take place over a number of days before a jury,” Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane said.

The coroner adjourned the inquest and issued a provisional start date for the full inquest to begin on January 14 2019.

Follow us on Facebook, and on Twitter


AdChoices
AdChoices

More From Dublin Live

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon