You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Top Stories

Heathrow Airport incident: Man dies after two airport vehicles crash on tarmac

Evening Standard logo Evening Standard 14/02/2018 Patrick Grafton-Green
Passengers were evacuated from a plane at the Heathrow Airpor © Getty Passengers were evacuated from a plane at the Heathrow Airpor

A man has died after two vehicles crashed on the tarmac at Heathrow Airport.

The Heathrow worker suffered a cardiac arrest when two airport vehicles collided on a taxiway near Terminal 5 on Wednesday morning.

Emergency services said they were called to a "serious accident" shortly after 6am.

London Ambulance medics attended and attempted to resuscitate the man, in his 40s, at the scene and on the way to hospital.

A Met Police spokesman confirmed at about 11am that he had not survived.

Firefighters were also called to release the man and another man from the wreckage of the two vehicles.

© PA

Passengers were taken off one plane as it sat on its stand waiting to depart. About 20 departing flights were delayed by up to several hours but Heathrow’s two runways remained open.

A Heathrow Airport spokeswoman said earlier: "We are dealing with a serious accident involving two vehicles on the airfield.

"We are working closely with the emergency services and updates will follow.

"The airfield remains open and we will work to minimise disruption to our passengers’ journeys.”

A spokeswoman for the Met Police said: "We were called at 6.06am on Wednesday following a collision between two airport vehicles on the taxiway at Heathrow Airport.

"Officers attended with London Ambulance Service colleagues.

"One male was treated for non-life threatening or life-changing injuries.

"Another male, aged in his 40s, has been taken to a west London hospital. We await an update as to his condition.

"There have been no arrests. The Health and Safety Executive has been informed."

A BA spokesman added: "We have apologised to customers for the delay to a small number of our flights this morning, following an incident involving two operational vehicles at the airport.

"We are doing all we can to ensure they will be able to depart as soon as possible."


More from Evening Standard

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon