You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

I-League 2017: Churchill Brothers 2-1 Mohun Bagan - Red Machines end Mariners' unbeaten run amid blackout in Goa logo 04-03-2017

Churchill Brothers' recent resurgence under new coach Derrick Pereira continued as they pulled off a brilliant recovery to upset Mohun Bagan in a round 12 I-League encounter at the Tilak Maidan in Vasco.

Though Sanjoy Sen's side took the lead through Prabir Das (24'), second-half goals from Anthony Wolfe (65') and Chesterpoul Lyngdoh (71') turned the tables on the team from Kolkata amid a 40-minute delay after the lights went out in the 80th minute at the stadium.

Derrick Pereira named an unchanged eleven from the home side's 3-0 win over DSK Shivajians last weekend while Sanjoy Sen made three changes for the away team. Pritam Kotal, Katsumi Yusa and Darryl Duffy replaced Sarthak Goloui, Souvik Chakraborty and Bikramjit Singh (Jr.) for Bagan.

A few chances fell Churchill Brothers' way in the initial minutes as Anthony Wolfe headed wide Brandon Fernandes' free-kick that rebounded off the wall while another cross for Wolfe by Ansumana Kromah was intercepted well by Anas Edathodika.

Bagan eventually started making inroads of their own. In the 23rd minute, a good through ball by Duffy that Bikramjit Singh tried to cross for Jeje Lalpekhlua was thwarted by a defensive clearance by Adil Khan.

That was before the opener was scored by Bagan when Sony Norde got past Brandon on the left flank and off his pin-point cross, Prabir nodded past a hapless Naveen Kumar at the far corner of the post.

© Provided by

Churchill's Bektur Talgat tried to reply with a firm shot from outside the box, but Debjit Majumder was behind it. The Bagan goalkeeper reacted well to hold the ball firmly.

A few minutes before half-time, there could have been an equaliser for Churchill. The curl from Brandon's free-kick almost beat Debjit in goal who was going the wrong side until a last minute adjustment in his dive which was enough to keep the ball from entering his net.

Both goalkeepers were called into action before the hour mark in the second half as Debjit pulled off a fingertip save in the 54th minute to prevent Wolfe's shot from the left from finding the far corner while on the other side, Duffy's chested down Norde's cross from the left for Jeje whose low shot was blocked by Naveen and the rebound was cleared by Rowilson before Duffy got on to it.

But in the 65th minute, Churchill scored the equaliser after Seriton's clearance against Prabir landed favourably for Wolfe in the heart of the Bagan box and the Trinidad and Tobago striker calmly placed it past Debjit.

Minutes later, Brandon almost drove the hosts into the lead but he saw two attempts fail to hit the target including an overhead kick that connected sweetly from Chesterpoul Lyngdoh's cross from the right.

But Churchill would get their go-ahead goal in the 74th minute, courtesy a defensive lapse by Eduardo Ferreira, who was otherwise having a good game. The Bagan centre-back failed to clear Brandon's cross from the left and the loose ball was gracefully headed into the back of the net by Chesterpoul Lyngdoh.

More to follow...

More from

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon