You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

No more comments on DoJ lawsuits, says Najib

Free Malaysia Today logo Free Malaysia Today 19/6/2017 Aedi Asri

najib © Provided by MToday News Sdn Bhd najib PUTRAJAYA: Prime Minister Najib Razak said today he would not issue any more comments on the civil lawsuit filed by the United States Department of Justice (DoJ) in an American court last Friday, seeking to recover US$540 million (RM2.3 billion) in assets believed to have been bought with funds siphoned from 1MDB.

He said too many statements had already been made on the issue by various parties.

“There has been many statements, no need (for more comments). I have already issued a statement,” he said at a media conference after handing over keys to owners of units in the 1Malaysia Civil Servants Housing Development (PPA1M) here.

Within hours of the DoJ court filings, the premier’s press secretary Tengku Sarifuddin Tengku Ahmad issued a statement attacking the DoJ documents for naming “several individuals and matters” which he considered “unnecessary”.

“This act showed the existence of a motivation beyond the objective of seizing assets,” the press secretary said, adding that investigations by Malaysian authorities previously did not uncover any crimes in 1MDB.

However, Najib personally has not given any comment on the DoJ lawsuits.

Asked by reporters whether he planned to take legal action against the DoJ, Najib replied, “Who wants to summon? No more statements (on DoJ).”

The DoJ’s court filings in California disclosed it was seeking to recover art works, jewellery and film rights totalling in the millions.

The assets named in the applications included the film rights to two comedies, “Dumb and Dumber To” starring Jim Carrey and “Daddy’s Home” with Will Ferrell. Both films were produced by Red Granite Pictures, a company founded by Riza Aziz, the step-son of Najib.

The DoJ also claimed that a portion of 1MDB funds was used to buy a 22-carat pink diamond pendant and necklace for the wife of a Malaysian codenamed “Malaysian Official 1” (MO1) for about US$27.3 million.

According to a Bloomberg report, the DoJ court filings were the latest attempt by the US government to seize assets linked to 1MDB, bringing the total sought by the DoJ to US$1.8 billion.

More From Free Malaysia Today

Free Malaysia Today
Free Malaysia Today
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon