You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Zahid says no to Pyongyang’s latest effort to claim Jong Nam’s body

Free Malaysia Today logo Free Malaysia Today 1/3/2017 FMT Reporters

zahid-kimjong-nam © Provided by MToday News Sdn Bhd zahid-kimjong-nam PETALING JAYA: Malaysia is ready to deny any request from North Korea to release the body of Kim Jong Nam, as well as to free a suspect from North Korea, who is currently in police study, the New Straits Times reported.

This follows the arrival of a delegation from Pyongyang yesterday, to negotiate with the Malaysian government for the release of the body to them, and the freedom of a North Korean man held by police in connection with the killing of the half-brother of North Korean leader, Kim Jong Un.

According to the daily, Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said any request will only be entertained after the due process in the justice system is carried out.

“As what Prime Minister Najib Razak had said before, our country’s legal system must be respected by all.

“We can entertain (North Korea’s) requests only when all investigation procedures that are being carried out now reach a conclusive ending,” he was quoted as saying.

He was responding to North Korean representative, Ri Tong Il, who had earlier spoken to the media outside the embassy, shortly after his arrival. Ri is a former North Korean envoy to the United Nations.

Zahid, who is also home minister, added that Malaysia does not have a hidden agenda over the investigation into the murder.

He then denied accusations by North Korea that Putrajaya was colluding with a “foreign government” to keep the body and reporting the death as a case of poisoning.

“We are also not worried about the impact of the killing and the investigations to Malaysia’s image, especially as negative allegations made against us have come from a nation suspected of being behind the killing,” Zahid was quoted as saying by NST.

According to Zahid, police investigations have revealed that the perpetrators had planned the killing for at least two months before carrying it out.

Jong Nam, who is the eldest son of former North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, arrived in Malaysia on Feb 6, and was at klia2 to catch a 10.30am flight to Macau on Feb 13 when he was attacked by two women. One sprayed a rapid-acting poison at him while the other covered his face with a piece of cloth.

He sought help at the customer service counter and was treated at the airport clinic but died on the way to Putrajaya Hospital.

Police have since nabbed four suspects to facilitate investigations. They are a Vietnamese named Doan Thi Huong, Siti Aisyah (Indonesia), Muhammad Farid Jallaludin (Malaysia) and Ri Jong Chul (North Korea).

The two women are expected to be charged with the murder today.

Four other male suspects, all North Korean, fled the country on the same day of the murder. They have been identified as Ri Ji Hyon, Hong Song Hac, O Jong Gil and Ri Jae Nam.

Two other North Korean suspects, Hyon Kwang Song, who is the second secretary with the embassy in Kuala Lumpur, and Air Koryo employee, Kim Uk Il, are also wanted by police to help in the investigations.

North Korean envoy arrives to claim Jong Nam’s body

More From Free Malaysia Today

Free Malaysia Today
Free Malaysia Today
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon