You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Trial of doctor charged with causing death of DPM’s son-in-law continues

Free Malaysia Today logo Free Malaysia Today 20/3/2017 Bernama
Syed-Alman2 © Provided by MToday News Sdn Bhd Syed-Alman2

KUALA LUMPUR: A policeman told the Sessions Court today that he was informed of a VIP’s death at the University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) on the night of June 1, 2016, while he was on a supervisory visit there.

Corporal Rosaidi Mat Zudin, a supervisor at the crime prevention division at the Pantai police station, said he received the information from a UMMC staff member before informing Pantai police station chief ASP Ezral Ezwani.

“I was then instructed to set up security control there to ensure that it did not become congested at the UMMC emergency ward as many people were going in and out,” he said during an examination-in-chief by deputy public prosecutor Rozaliana Zakaria here today.

Rosaidi, who was the third prosecution witness, said this during the trial of a case involving an obstetrics and gynaecology (O&G) doctor, Dr Ting Teck Chin, who was charged with causing the death of Syed Alman Zain Syed Alwi, the son-in-law of Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, after receiving dental treatment at the Imperial Dental Specialist Centre.

Rosaidi said he also received instructions from Ezral to be at the autopsy room with the medical team at 1am on June 2, 2016.

“I had also received an instruction from Dr Prasant, who led the autopsy team, to take photographs throughout the process which lasted from 1am to 4.25am on June 2, 2016.

“I took 49 photographs during the autopsy process and I kept all of them in the office of the station’s deputy police chief. On June 3, 2016, I handed the photographs to the investigation officer, ASP Yusmazatu Yahya Yusof.”

On Aug 12, Ting, 36, a part-time anaesthetist at the Imperial Dental Specialist Centre, pleaded not guilty to the charge of causing the death of Syed Alman Zain, 44, knowing that his actions could cause the victim’s death.

Ting, who is attached to the O&G Department at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital, was charged with committing the offence at the Imperial Dental Specialist Centre, Lot 62 & 64, Jalan Telawi, Bangsar Baru, here between 6pm and 9.05pm on June 1.

He was represented by counsel Dev Kumaraendran and was charged under Section 304(b) of the Penal Code, which carries a maximum 10-year imprisonment or a fine or both, upon conviction.

Syed Alman Zain, who was married to Zahid’s eldest daughter Nurulhidayah, 37, was reported to have lost consciousness while receiving dental treatment at the centre and was referred to the University of Malaya Medical Centre before being confirmed dead.

Also called to testify was Constable Norhasan Asarin and Lance Corporal Mohamad Zahir Zainuddin. The trial before Judge Zaman Mohd Noor continues tomorrow.

More From Free Malaysia Today

Free Malaysia Today
Free Malaysia Today
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon