You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Mould Found in Coconut Water

Cosmopolitan logo Cosmopolitan 15/05/2017 Laura Beck
UP NEXT
UP NEXT

Video provided by Buzz60

Welp, this is horrifying.

BuzzFeed reports that Barbara Kline, a woman from New York, became extremely ill after drinking from a container of Vita Coco coconut water containing "an octopus-looking thing" in it.

"When I took a big gulp, I swallowed a chunk of something," she told the website. "It tasted very thick and syrupy. It was disgusting."

She then poured it out, and became alarmed when instead of being clear, it was a murky grey color. (I'm shuddering.)

That's when she decided to open up the container with a knife and FOUND THIS:

Holy guacamole! (Kline says she immediately threw up, which, yeah.)

For its part, Vita Coco says the item is likely mold, and not likely to cause any health problems.

Arthur Gallego, Vita Coco's global director of corporate communications, told BuzzFeed, "Vita Coco is a preservative-free beverage made from naturally-occurring ingredients. While the consumer has yet to return the product for testing, this looks like typical food spoilage."

Kline says she followed the container's storage guidelines, and that the company is at fault for selling mold-filled products. She adds that she's "highly allergic" to mold, and has been experiencing vomiting, diarrhea, and asthma attacks since she consumed the beverage.

This "Octopus-Looking Mold" Was Found in a Woman's Fancy Coconut Water © Facebook This "Octopus-Looking Mold" Was Found in a Woman's Fancy Coconut Water

Vita Coco asked Kline to return the mold for testing, but she declined, and says plans to sue the company.

As BuzzFeed points out, Kline isn't the first person to find something disturbing inside their Vita Coco water - check out these horrors that date back to 2011:

More from Cosmopolitan

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon