You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Revealed: The common household spread that can kill your dog - and the warning that all pet owners must read

Daily Mail logo Daily Mail 4 days ago false

a close up of a sign: The notice posted on social media by the RSPCA volunteer group warned dog owners about the dangers of peanut butter that contained xylitol © Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited The notice posted on social media by the RSPCA volunteer group warned dog owners about the dangers of peanut butter that contained xylitol An animal welfare group has issued a warning to dog owners which highlights the dangers of feeding pets peanut butter that contains the sugar substitute, xylitol.

The RSCPA Blue Mountains Volunteer Branch recently shared a message with its followers on social media and said if a peanut or other nut butter contained xylitol it shouldn't be fed to dogs under any circumstances.

'Many people use peanut butter as a dog treat, or to fill a Kong or disguise medications; if they now use the type with xylitol, it could be very dangerous,' the notice reads. 

The notice posted on social media by the RSPCA volunteer group warned dog owners about the dangers of peanut butter that contained xylitol 

The notice explained that the sweetener - which can be found in sugarless gum and other sugar-free products - can be deadly to dogs if it is fed to them.

Xylitol is a sweetener which is found in many fruits and vegetables and is considered a natural alternative to sugar. 

a man holding a stuffed animal: Dr David Neck, a spokesperson for the Australian Veterinarian Association said the warning was one dog owners should heed as the product is 'incredibly toxic to dogs' © Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited Dr David Neck, a spokesperson for the Australian Veterinarian Association said the warning was one dog owners should heed as the product is 'incredibly toxic to dogs' Speaking to FEMAIL, Dr David Neck, a spokesperson for the Australian Veterinarian Association said the warning was one dog owners should heed as the product is 'incredibly toxic to dogs'.

Dr David Neck, a spokesperson for the Australian Veterinarian Association said the warning was one dog owners should heed as the product is 'incredibly toxic to dogs'

He explained that if a dog eats a product containing xylitol this will cause hypoglycaemia which is a drop in blood sugar levels.

'And that can lead to seizures and this can lead to death,' Dr Neck added.

a dog looking at the camera: If a dog eats a product containing xylitol this will cause hypoglycaemia which is a drop in blood sugar levels (stock image) © Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited If a dog eats a product containing xylitol this will cause hypoglycaemia which is a drop in blood sugar levels (stock image) 'Standard clinical signs for this would include vomiting, lack of coordination, trouble walking, depression and coma. Severe hypoglycaemia will result in seizures.

If a dog eats a product containing xylitol this will cause hypoglycaemia which is a drop in blood sugar levels (stock image)

a dog looking at the camera: Dr Neck's recommendation to all dog owners is to avoid all product containing the sweetener and to make sure your pet can't access these (stock image) © Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited Dr Neck's recommendation to all dog owners is to avoid all product containing the sweetener and to make sure your pet can't access these (stock image) Dr Neck's recommendation to all dog owners is to avoid all product containing the sweetener and to make sure your pet can't access these (stock image)

'The dogs will either present with seizures or they can present with liver failure.

Products that may contain xylitol: 

Sugar-free gums and lollies

Breath mints

Baked goods with xylitol

Cough syrups

Mouthwash

Toothpaste

Over the counter nasal sprays

Laxatives

Digestive aids

Allergy medicines

'These dogs may develop bleeding disorders but are generally incredibly sick. We don't have much in the veterinary world to treat liver failure.

'If a dog comes into the clinic with hypoglycaemia this can be treated with glucose infusions via an intravenous drip.'

Dr Neck said the reported dose for poisoning by xylitol is 100mg per kilogram of body weight.

However, he outlined one of the major problems when it came to treat dogs that had eaten products containing xylitol was it was difficult to know how much of the sweetener there was in a product because the exact amount often wasn't listed.

Dr Neck's recommendation to all dog owners is to avoid all product containing the sweetener and to make sure your pet can't access these.

'Prevention is far better than cure. Avoid leaving xylitol-containing products around the home where the dog can get them,' he concluded.

Pictures: The most dangerous breeds of dog in the world

Tosa Inu é uma raça oriunda do Japão e foi originalmente criado para ser um cão de luta É considerado perigoso e legalmente restrito em alguns países. The most dangerous breeds of dog in the world

More From Daily Mail

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon