You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

10 crazy items kids have swallowed — and lived to tell about

New York Daily News logo New York Daily News 19/02/2016 MARK EMERY

Two kids playing at home © Getty Images1 Two kids playing at home Kids swallow the darndest things.

A Toronto tot is on the mend after reportedly downing a nickel-sized item that remained lodged in her throat for four days.

It turned out to not be a bottle cap or coin as initially thought, but a potentially deadly lithium battery.

The button battery was burning through the outer lining of Katie Smith's esophagus, but emergency surgery was performed and the 2-year-old is "doing great" after an incident that has been fatal before.

As many parents know, batteries are far from the only ingestible item they have to worry about their child getting a hand on.

Here are 10 of the most extraordinary things kids have decided were edible — and lived to tell about:

SpongeBob SquarePants keychain

Spongebob Squarepants. © Getty Images Spongebob Squarepants. Wait, that's not a pineapple under the sea!

SpongeBob found a new home a year ago, when a 16-month-old boy in Saudi Arabia consumed a keychain of the cartoon character that got caught in his esophagus.

"I was amazed by the visible details. You can see his freckles, shoes and fingers…AMAZING," Dr. Ghofran Ageely wrote after viewing the X-ray.


Screwdriver © Getty Images Screwdriver

It was tool time for this toddler.

Shortly before her second birthday, Sheila Martinez somehow got her hands on a 3.5-inch screwdriver — and shoved it in her mouth.

X-rays at a Colorado hospital revealed the eyeglass-tightening device, which required an hour-long surgery to remove.

LED light

LED lights © Getty LED lights

Ever try to get on "America's Funniest Home Videos"?

In 2005, 6-year-old Eli Lambert of Maryland did after wondering whether a small LED light he had would shine through his cheek if he put it in his mouth.

Predictably, the boy wound up swallowing the light — which could still be seen flashing through his abdomen after going down his throat.

Wedding ring

Wedding bands © Getty Images Wedding bands

When it comes to household objects that children can make disappear, some are dangerous — and others are expensive.

Last month, a Seattle-area couple discovered that the wife's wedding ring was missing, only to find it later via X-ray in their 14-month-old toddler's belly.

"Our baby will be a diamond mule for the next couple weeks," the father joked in a Reddit post.


Feather © Getty Feather

Did she eat an entire bird?

In 2012, 7-month-old Mya Whittington of Kansas was hospitalized after attempting to scarf down a feather that caused swelling in her cheek and neck — and even started to poke through her skin.

“[Our doctor’s] best guess is that she either inhaled it or tried swallowing it and it got lodged in the throat somewhere, and the body, just being crazy, just started to reject it and force it out the side of her neck," father Aaron Whittington reportedly said.

Hip-hop grill

Chris Brown and his grills © Getty Images Chris Brown and his grills

It's not always "Florida man" who gets caught doing something silly — sometimes it's "Florida boy."

Bobby Tedesco, a 7-year-old resident of the Sunshine State, was rushed to the hospital by his mother in 2007 after he accidentally swallowed the hip-hop grill she had picked up for him at a flea market.

Doctors opted to let the boy pass the grill naturally rather than fish it out through surgery.


Pens © Getty Images Pens

Pens are easy enough to lose without having to worry about a nearby child swallowing one.

Somehow, a 2-year-old girl in Montreal gulped down a six-inch ballpoint pen in 2011, with X-rays showing that part of it got stuck in her esophagus while the rest extended into her stomach.

"It wouldn't surprise me if that was a unique case," Dr. Neil Chadha said at the time. "Odd things crop up from time to time, but that's quite exceptional."


Magnets © Getty Images Magnets

In addition to button batteries, mini magnets are among the most common items young kids tend to swallow.

In 2008, 8-year-old Indiana resident Haley Lents ingested 30 magnets and steel balls from a Magnetix toy set, which led to eight holes in her intestines that resembled gunshot or stabbing wounds.

A more recent instance occurred last month, when 2-year-old Ava Kendall of Houston devoured nine magnetic balls the size of BB pellets, which nearly killed her.

Rubber ducky whistle

Rubber Ducky © Getty Images Rubber Ducky He was so fond of his rubber ducky's whistle that he devoured the thing.

Hector Flores, Jr. — a 7-year-old Bronx resident — accidentally took in the squeaker while playing in the pool in 2012, much to the chagrin of teachers who thought his high-pitched interruptions were intentional.

An X-ray showed that the whistle was stuck in an artery in the boy's lung, with a half-hour procedure following for its removal.

Drugs… lots of drugs

Medicines © Getty Images Medicines If you're going to do drugs, keep them out of your little ones' reach.

In January alone, there were reports of an 8-year-old Oregon boy who ate a marijuana-infused cookie, a 3-year-old Florida girl who ingested synthetic marijuana, an 18-month-old Connecticut boy who swallowed a PCP-laced cigarette and a 1-year-old West Virginia girl who gobbled down a painkiller pill.

Actually, instead of worrying about our kids, maybe we should be more concerned about the people looking after them.

More from New York Daily News

New York Daily News
New York Daily News
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon