You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Aberdeen move into second, Rangers held

Press Association logoPress Association 4/02/2017

Aberdeen moved second in the Scottish Premiership with a 2-0 win over Partick Thistle as Rangers were held at home by Ross County.

Substitute Jayden Stockley made the difference for Aberdeen in a hard-fought clash at Pittodrie.

The striker opened the scoring six minutes after his introduction, heading home Niall McGinn's corner, and then turned provider as fellow sub Ryan Christie sealed the points in stoppage time.

At Ibrox, Alex Schalk put County ahead in the 18th minute with a finish deftly clipped over goalkeeper Wes Foderingham after good work by Jim O'Brien.

Their lead stood until the 71st minute, when Lee Wallace finished from a tight angle to rescue a point for Rangers. Both they and the Dons are 24 points behind Celtic, who play St Johnstone on Sunday.

Fourth-placed Hearts, six points further back, earlier won 3-0 at Motherwell as Alex Tziolis and Esmael Goncalves opened their goalscoring accounts for the club.

After Motherwell had Carl McHugh sent off, their second red card in successive Saturdays, Tziolis scored with a deflected strike from long range and Goncalves struck twice in the last six minutes.

Inverness remained three points adrift at the bottom of the table but at least came from two goals down to draw 2-2 after Dundee took a dominant halftime advantage thanks to headers from Marcus Haber and Darren O'Dea.

Billy McKay's penalty, after he was fouled by Julen Etxabeguren, cut the deficit and Greg Tansey netted a 79th-minute equaliser.

Their nearest rivals Hamilton also drew, 1-1 with Kilmarnock, and remained two points behind Dundee as they bid to escape the relegation play-off place.

Kilmarnock took an early lead through Sean Longstaff's fine strike but first-half substitute Eamonn Brophy hit back just before the break.

More From Press Association

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon