You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Accused Mid Canterbury player stood down

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 12/10/2016

The Mid Canterbury Rugby Union says it has stood down the player accused of attempted rape.

In a short statement on Thursday, chief executive Ian Patterson says the move was made as soon as the union became aware of the charge.

It had also given the player appropriate support.

"Nothing further can be said in light of the court order suppressing all details."

The player was charged following an incident understood to have happened a day after Mid Canterbury played East Coast in Ruatoria on October 1, it emerged on Wednesday.

New Zealand Rugby chief executive Steve Tew says they are aware of the allegation and has been providing support to the union.

Police would not comment on the case, saying only that a man was arrested on October 2.

He was charged with assault with intent to commit rape and will appear in Gisborne District Court on October 31.

NZ Rugby has had to deal with several controversial incidents in recent weeks, beginning with the Chiefs' stripper saga.

There was then the outcry over Wellington player Losi Filipo's discharge without conviction for assaulting four people, including two women.

Last week, All Blacks halfback Aaron Smith was banned for one match after revelations of a tryst with a woman in a disabled bathroom at Christchurch Airport in September.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon