You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Accused: Rape, kidnap claims not true

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 16/03/2017
© Getty

He told a police officer who approached him at a remote Cape Runaway property that claims of kidnapping and rape against him had been blown out of proportion, weren't the truth, the accused has claimed.

The 38-year-old was testifying on the ninth day of his trial at which he's defending charges of abduction, burglary and sexual connection relating to a period spanning mid July until August 6, 2105.

The disappearance of a 15-year-old girl from South Auckland sparked a manhunt for the pair across the Bay of Plenty and East Coast.

He told the Rotorua District Court trying him this was in response to the officer telling him he was in a whole lot of trouble, that a lot of people were looking for him.

He was then arrested and handcuffed.

The defendant's name is suppressed, at least until the end of his trial which is before Judge Maree MacKenzie and a jury of 11 women and one man.

In response to probing by crown prosecutor, Chris Macklin, the man denied he was making up the answers he gave him.

"It's your witnesses who are making it up'" the defendant replied. Mr Macklin told him that would be a matter for the jury.

Challenged about a laptop he said he'd received from 'the underworld', giving it to his alleged victim, the defendant denied the prosecutor's claim laptops were cheap to buy.

"You can get one off the street for a hundy . . . I don't know why I did it to be honest."

He denied he'd committed any burglaries, insisting he should have been charged with receiving not burglary.

Earlier in the trial Judge MacKenzie dismissed three of the original seven burglary charges.

The trial's continuing.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon