You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Amnesty calls for Afghanistan inquiry

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 22/03/2017

Amnesty International has joined calls for an inquiry into the allegations that SAS troops were involved in a raid in Afghanistan in 2010 that left six civilians dead and 15 wounded.

The allegations are in the book Hit and Run, written by investigative journalist Nicky Hager and war correspondent Jon Stephenson, launched in Wellington on Tuesday.

Soon after the raid, an investigation by Afghan authorities and the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) reported that no civilians had been killed.

Amnesty's Grant Bayldon says the government can't rely on that inquiry.

"We have documented instances of ISAF reaching incorrect findings in their reports and have also raised concerns about their ability, as military forces, to conduct an impartial investigation," he said on Thursday.

The authors of the book, and opposition parties, want the government to order an inquiry.

Prime Minister Bill English has had an initial briefing from Defence Force officials and said on Thursday that so far nothing new had been found in the book that warranted an inquiry.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon