You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Arrest in tsunami evacuation crime probe

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 20/12/2016

Police have charged a man with raiding a Christchurch family's home and taking their daughter's expensive hearing device during last month's tsunami evacuation.

The 24-year-old was charged with burglary and will appear in Christchurch District Court on Wednesday.

"Persistence by police forensic teams and investigators contributed to the charging of the 24-year-old," police said in a statement.

Matt and Melissa Mill and their two daughters fled their New Brighton home when the November 14 magnitude-7.8 quake struck and returned five hours later finding it ransacked, with their 12-year-old daughter's $5000 hearing aid and a truck missing.

None of the items were recovered, police said.

Police believed four properties were burgled during the tsunami evacuation, which was "disappointing".

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon