You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Auckland man dies following stand-off

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 16/08/2016

The man at the centre of an eight-hour armed stand-off with police in south Auckland has died in hospital from his gunshot wound.

The wounded man was discovered when police entered the Papakura house on Tuesday afternoon.

The armed offenders squad had earlier surrounded the Sutton Crescent address after a woman said she had been seriously assaulted there.

Three children - aged seven, nine and 13 - were escorted uninjured from the property about midday, following negotiations.

A gunshot was then heard from inside the house about 90 minutes later.

In a statement, police confirmed the man died in hospital on Tuesday evening.

His next of kin were being informed of his death.

The man's death would be referred to the coroner and police were not saying anything further about the death.

Earlier, police said the woman was left shaken, but did not need medical treatment. The children have been reunited with their family.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon