You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Aussie driver of crashed McLaren charged

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 4/12/2016

The Australian driver of a multi-million-dollar McLaren F1 supercar who crashed it in New Zealand has been charged with careless driving.

The accident happened on Glenorchy-Queenstown Road on Saturday.

The car was taking part in a tour of New Zealand by 31 McLaren cars honouring the late Bruce McLaren, the manufacturer's Kiwi founder, when it left the road and ended up in a ditch.

The driver was reported to be a 65-year-old Australian man who was treated for broken or sprained thumb.

On Sunday Sergeant Blair Duffy said the Australian man who crashed the McLaren F1 had been charged with careless driving.

He had been summonsed to appear in court on Monday, he said.

He didn't say which court but it's expected to be Queenstown District Court.

McLaren hosed down the attention on Saturday, saying it was only a minor accident.

The F1s are capable of travelling at almost 400km/h and versions of them have sold for as much as $US13.5 ($NZ19) million.

A convoy of McLarens from around the world has been travelling from Auckland to Queenstown on the Epic NZ Tour. The tour, organised by the company, ended on Saturday.

On Thursday tour participants were flown by helicopters to Minaret Station. Pilots included former All Blacks captain Richie McCaw. Friday was spent at Highlands Motorsport Park.

McLaren's daughter Amanda was on the trip.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon