You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Baby City faces legal action over cots

NZN 19/04/2016 Edwin Mitson

Baby products retailer Baby City is to face nine charges over two types of cots sold between October 2014 and October 2015.

The Commerce Commission says the Milano three-in-one Sleigh-style cot and the Milano Phoenix cot failed to comply with the relevant safety standards. The charges are being brought under the Fair Trading Act 1986.

In a statement, the Commerce Commission said that both cots had structural defects, including a potential "snag" point that could catch on clothing, as well as packaging, leaflet labelling, and mattress base marketing which didn't comply with the relevant safety standard notice.

Baby City issued a product safety notice in January this year. It provided customers with a booklet on how to repair the defects and a new information leaflet. The commission says it was told there had been no reports of injury or harm caused by the cots.

The national chain will appear before the Auckland District Court on May 17.

Baby City was sold by Postie Plus to former LV Martin chief executive Trevor Douthett in 2012. Baby City has been approached for comment, but a staff member said that only Mr Douthett could speak to the media and he was travelling.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon