You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Breakers confirm new point guard signing

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 6/01/2017

The Breakers have signed on American point guard Kevin Dillard for the remainder of the Australian NBL season.

Dillard, 27, will suit up for the Breakers match against the table-topping Adelaide 36ers at the North Shore Events Centre on Sunday.

He replaces fellow American David Stockton, who has struggled with back problems since replacing Ben Woodside, sidelined with a foot injury nearly two months ago.

The Breakers sit bottom of the ladder with eight wins and 11 losses, and are coming off a narrow 65-63 loss to the Taipans in Cairns on Friday.

Breakers general manager Dillon Boucher said it had been a difficult decision to release Woodside and Stockton.

"Replacing players is never easy and not something the Breakers do lightly or often," Boucher said.

"Ben's commitment to this team since his injury has been exemplary, and the professionalism of David in receiving this news has been first class."

Originally from Chicago, and out of Southern Illinois and the University of Dayton, Dillard is a well-travelled player, who comes off stints in France, Greece, Belgium and Turkey.

He joins forwards Akil Mitchell and Paul Carter as the three forwards on the Breakers' books.

Carter was signed just after Christmas as cover for Tom Abercrombie, currently sidelined with a hand injury, and shooting guard Corey Webster, who announced on Thursday his season is over after choosing to undergo hip surgery.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon