You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Bullets CEO steps down ahead of NBL return

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 7/09/2016

Ex NZ Breakers CEO Richard Clarke. © Hannah Peters/Getty Images Ex NZ Breakers CEO Richard Clarke. Brisbane Bullets CEO Mitchell Murphy is stepping down from the role after spearheading the franchise's return next month to the NBL.

"It has been a privilege to play my part in the return of the Brisbane Bullets after eight long years out of the competition, but I feel like I have done my part toward ensuring the club's success, and that I can now pursue other business opportunities knowing the club is on the right path," Murphy said on Wednesday in a statement.

Bullets chief operating officer Richard Clarke, previously CEO of the New Zealand Breakers, will assume the role of general manager.

NBL general manager Jeremy Loeliger praised Murphy for his contribution over the past year.

"Mitchell was brought on board to ensure that the Bullets found their way back into the hearts and minds of the Brisbane public, and once again establish the club as a vital component of the community," he said.

"He has done the job that was asked of him and, now that the club enters its operational phase, it makes sense for him to hand over the reins to the basketball guys."

Murphy is a former CEO of A-League side Newcastle and ex-chief of Football Federation Victoria along with holding senior executive roles in the media industry in Australia and New Zealand.

The Bullets start their NBL season on October 6 against the Perth Wildcats at Brisbane Entertainment Centre.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon