You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Business quake help to end on April 30

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 27/02/2017

Financial support for businesses affected by the Kaikoura earthquake is quickly coming to an end.

The government announced a final extension on Monday for the $17.5 million package assisting businesses in Kaikoura, Hurunui, Marlborough and Wellington following the November 14 earthquake.

Businesses in Wellington and the Hutt Valley, where all cordons are expected to be lifted soon, will no longer be eligible after March 5.

For other areas the extension has been granted to April 30, but in a two-tiered system, Social Development Minister Anne Tolley says.

"For the first four weeks, businesses will receive $375 per week for each full time employee and $225 for each part time employee," she said.

"For the second week that will move to $250 and $150 respectively."

So far the government has paid out almost $14.9 million of the fund.

Economic Development Minister Simon Bridges also announced a new one-million dollar business grant programme for Kaikoura, Hurunui and Marlborough.

"We believe the establishment of a business recovery trust, similar to the one which support Christchurch businesses after the Canterbury earthquakes, is the ideal way to ensure support is targeted to businesses most in need post 30 April," he said.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon