You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

CCTV shows sparks flying as e-cigarette explodes in man's pocket

The Independent logo The Independent 29/11/2016 PETER WALKER
© Provided by Independent Print Limited

CCTV has captured the moment an e-cigarette exploded in the pocket of a wine store employee, in the latest example of the devices combusting.

Otis Gooding was badly burned when talking to co-workers behind the counter at the New York City shop on Wednesday.

The high definition security camera footage shows Mr Gooding jumping as sparks shoot and smoke billows from his trouser pocket.

The 31-year-old suffered third-degree burns and was reportedly taken to a medical centre burns unit for surgery.

“Otis ran water on himself till the paramedics came. I was traumatised to see someone hurt that way," said eyewitness John Lee, a fellow employee at Central Cellars Wine and Spirits in Grand Central Terminal.

"I've never seen one that has so much power, it's aftermarket customised so you can change the voltage for high performance.”

No one else was injured in the incident but co-workers were still “shaken up”, according to CNN.

Earlier this month, plastic surgeons at Morriston Hospital’s Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery in Swansea said they had treated five patients for burns after e-cigarette batteries exploded.

In July 2015, the Local government Association revealed that more than 100 fires were caused by e-cigarette blasts over the previous two years.

Scientists believe flavoured e-cigarettes produce “unacceptably dangerous” levels of cancer-causing toxins.

E-cigarettes are handheld electronic devices that emit vapers from flavoured liquird, which often contains nicotine.

More from The Independent

The Independent
The Independent
image beaconimage beaconimage beacon