You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Chch man jailed over child sex video

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 7/09/2016 Cleo Mary Fraser

A Christchurch man who paid an Auckland woman $300 to send him a video of her sexually abusing a 15-month-old child has been sentenced to five years jail.

In June, Matthew Garland Kelly pleaded guilty to 16 charges including 10 of possession of an objectionable publication, five of making an objectionable publication and one of sexual violation by unlawful sexual connection.

The 22-year-old was sentenced to five years jail on all charges by Judge Paul Kellar in Christchurch District Court on Wednesday.

In 2014, Kelly paid Krystal Harvey $300 to send him a video of the 23-year-old performing a sex act on a 15-month-old child.

That footage was found on a cell phone which, along with a computer, was seized and examined by police who were alerted to Kelly by another woman concerned about contact he'd had with the child.

Objectional images of babies and children aged 3-14, including a number which featured animals and adults, were found on the devices. Online conversations in which Kelly offered money to women to spend time alone with their children as well as conversations in which he detailed sexual acts he would like to perform on children were also found.

During sentencing, Judge Kellar said that although Harvey should have refused Kelly's offer, the offending would not have occurred had he not encouraged the woman.

"Infants are the most helpless members of our society ... completely defenceless," he said.

Judge Kellar said Kelly's age, his early guilty plea and the fact he was abused as a child were taken into account in handing down the sentence.

In May, High Court Justice Edwin Wylie nearly doubled Harvey's sentence and ordered that she serve a prison term of three years and nine months following an appeal.

Harvey admitted unlawful sexual connection and making an objectionable publication and in Manukau District Court was initially sentenced to eight months' home detention, judicial monitoring and community service.

However, because she had received threats and no home could be found for her the sentence was cancelled and replaced with a two-year jail term.

The Crown appealed the original home detention sentence, and then even the replacement jail sentence, arguing neither was enough for such a pre-meditated crime.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon