You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Chch toddler choked to death: neighbours

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 21/04/2016 Cleo Fraser

Neighbours say they desperately tried to save the life of a two-year-old boy brought to their Christchurch home in the arms of his distraught mother.

Police were called to investigate on behalf of the coroner after the toddler died suddenly in Christchurch on Wednesday afternoon.

A 21-year-old mother who lives next door told NZ Newswire the boy's mother was hysterical when she arrived at their door holding him in her arms.

Another person at the house performed CPR on the boy until paramedics arrived.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

"They worked to their heart's content and they had tears in their eyes," the person who gave the boy CPR said.

They said it appeared the boy had choked on food and it was "just a freak accident".

The neighbour said she had been disturbed by some of the comments she had seen about the family on social media and said people shouldn't be so quick to judge.

The boy's family, originally from Afghanistan, are well-known in the community for being caring and friendly, several other neighbours said.

A police officer remained at the family's property until late on Thursday morning.

A police spokesman said they couldn't comment on the boy's cause of death but said they would likely update media on the case later on Thursday.

There has been no suggestion the death is suspicious.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon