You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Child killer Holdem stays behind bars

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 16/06/2017

A man who has been in jail for 30 years for murdering a schoolgirl has been denied parole and will not be considered again until 2020.

Peter Holdem sexually molested and killed Christchurch six-year-old Louisa Damodran in 1986 just after he had been released from prison for the abduction and attempted murder of a 10-year-old girl.

The New Zealand Parole Board held a hearing on May 29 to consider the issue of postponement after an earlier parole hearing.

It had received letters of support for Holdem but did not say who they were from.

Holdem acknowledged via his legal counsel that "there is some work to do" before he might meet the test for parole, the board decision said.

A psychologist submitted Holdem had demonstrated little gain from treatment and his reported lack of sexual interest could not be considered to be reliable. His rehabilitation needs were immense.

Holdem is not currently wait-listed for any treatment and he claims not to understand what is required of him.

His counsel said Holdem was not able to convey his personal thoughts well and he was keen to go home at some point. He felt anxious when engaging with the psychologist.

The psychologist assessed Holdem as being at high risk of both sexual and violent offending.

The board said Holdem was not suitable for release and he would not be seen by the board again until May 2020.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon