You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Cliff Richard settles case with police

Press Association logoPress Association 26/05/2017

Cliff Richard and South Yorkshire Police have settled a legal fight that started when the British singer sued the force and the BBC following reports naming him as a suspected sex offender.

Lawyers told a High Court hearing in London on Friday that Sir Cliff and force bosses had come to terms.

The singer, 76, had taken legal action against the BBC and South Yorkshire Police over coverage of a raid at his apartment in Berkshire in 2014.

He had said his right to respect for private life had been infringed and he wanted "very substantial" damages.

Sir Cliff and the BBC remain in dispute.

BBC editors have said they will "defend ourselves vigorously".

Sir Cliff Richard © Provided by Press Association Sir Cliff Richard

A spokeswoman said the BBC had reported Sir Cliff's "full denial of the allegations at every stage".

South Yorkshire Police have already apologised "wholeheartedly for the additional anxiety caused" by the force's "initial handling of the media interest" in its investigation into the singer.

The High Court's Mr Justice Mann has heard that in late 2013 a man made an allegation to police, saying he had been sexually assaulted by Sir Cliff at Sheffield United's Bramall Lane football stadium when a child in 1985.

Sir Cliff denied the allegation "as soon as it was brought to his attention" and in 2016 prosecutors announced he would face no charges.

More From Press Association

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon