You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Country disappointed by Canterbury no-show

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 24/04/2017 Simone Ziaziaris

Country Rugby League boss Terry Quinn is disappointed by Canterbury's decision to exclude their players from the final NSW City-Country Origin match.

Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle has told News Corp Australia not making their players available for selection for the Sunday, May 7 game was to protect their welfare, with an NRL fixture four days later.

Quinn criticised a lack of open discussion by the Bulldogs, saying he found out of the decision through the media on Tuesday morning.

"That is probably the most disappointing thing about it," he told AAP.

"I can understand where Des (Hasler) and Raelene are coming from with player welfare in the short turnaround, but previously when the Country-City game was played on Friday nights, the boys backed up the next day.

"I know it is a tough game and all that but I am just really disappointed."

The club has prioritised its round-10 meeting with North Queensland on Thursday, May 11, over the historic representative game in Mudgee.

Quinn said the problem stems from a lack of foresight in NRL scheduling.

The NRL has scrapped the annual City-Country game beyond 2017 after deciding it could no longer be squeezed into the schedule.

Quinn said it was unfortunate players will miss out, with the clash often a stepping stone to representative honours.

"They had the opportunity to play in the last of what has been part of the rugby league fabric since 1911," Quinn said.

"So it would mean a hell of a lot to those players.

"It obviously gives them an opportunity to show that they are of a representative quality and hopefully go on to bigger and better teams.

"I think it might add a little bit too it now, make it a bit more prestigious. I think it might make the other guys a bit more hungry."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon