You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Damascus bombings death toll rises to 74

dpa logodpa 11/03/2017

Fifty four civilians and 20 security personnel were among those killed in twin blasts in Damascus on Saturday, say human rights officials.

The death toll in twin blasts that hit a religious site in the Syrian capital has risen to 74.

The dead include 54 civilians and 20 security personnel, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Sunday.

Saturday's attack close to the Bab al-Saghir cemetery in central Damascus, frequented by Shi'ite Muslims, was caused by a roadside bomb followed by a suicide bomber who blew himself up in a crowd of visitors, according to the Observatory.

The attack has left dozens of people injured and some of them are still in critical condition, the watchdog said.

Iraq said the attack had killed 40 of its nationals and injured 120 others who were visiting.

Syria's state news agency SANA said 40 people were killed and about 120 injured in the attack that it said was caused by two explosive devices.

There has not been yet a claim of responsibility.

Damascus has seen several attacks since the Syrian conflict started in March 2011.

In November last year, 20 people were killed in two suicide attacks in the mainly Shi'ite suburb of Sayeda Zeinab in southern Damascus. The radical Islamic State claimed that attack.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon