You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

David Ginola 'fine' after heart attack

Press AssociationPress Association 21/05/2016

David Ginola has declared himself "fine" after regaining consciousness following a quadruple heart bypass operation.

A tweet from Ginola's account said he had "never slept better" after his dramatic collapse while playing a charity soccer match on Thursday.

The 49-year-old former Newcastle and Tottenham winger played the match at a celebrity golf tournament in Mandelieu on the French Riviera.

"David played a sort of charity football match. All of a sudden he collapsed and people thought it was a joke but after one or two minutes they realised it was serious," his surgeon, Professor Gilles Dreyfus, told the BBC.

"Fortunately there was one person who had been trained in CPR, because otherwise he would have been brain dead.

"The girl who was in the ambulance only knew where the football field, which isn't an official one but a private one, was because she had seen it that morning.

"If she hadn't then most likely she would not have found it within the timeframe to save him.

A tweet from Ginola's account then read: "Hello world, never slept better. I'm fine, just need to rest a bit. Thank you so much all of you for your magnificent support."

Ginola won 17 caps for France and also had spells at Aston Villa and Everton before his retirement in 2002.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon