You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Detective denies fake Winders' arrest

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 22/08/2016
George Taiaroa © Supplied George Taiaroa

The detective who arrested Quinton Winders 16 days after George Taiaroa's killing has denied the initial charge of speeding was a charade.

Detective Steven Dunn was being cross-examined by defence lawyer Jonathan Temm in the High Court at Rotorua on Monday.

Winders is charged with the murder of Mr Winders, who was shot while operating a stop-go sign on Tram Road, near Atiamuri, south of Tokoroa.

The questioning followed the jury being shown a video interview Mr Dunn conducted with Winders.

Winders initially said he hadn't left his farm on March 19 although on reflection thought he could have gone to Taumarunui.

Shown CCTV footage of him at the town's Post Shop that day, Winders recalled registering his Jeep Cherokee there before going to Te Kuiti to look at a job.

Pressed by Mr Dunn, he denied he had gone to Tram Road that day. Last November, Mr Dunn arrested Winders at the Stratford house where he was then living on the charge of murdering Mr Taiaroa.

Questioned by Mr Temm, he denied shrouding the driving matter in questions about the homicide but agreed Winders was never charged with any driving offence.

The officer in charge of a search of the property where Winders lived in a barn, former detective Matthew Barton, described how police cut a padlock on the gate.

Doors were also padlocked and the building was without mains power or plumbing. As well as a locked gun safe, the search party found a piece of wood which appeared to have bullet holes in it.

Mr Barton said a driveway that Winders had recently laid was dug up and metal detectors were used, but nothing was found.

He told Crown solicitor Amanda Gordon that said police had been looking for any projectiles or bullets that might have been fired in the area.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon