You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Dreamworld to demolish fatal water ride

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 8/11/2016

The ride that killed four people at Dreamworld, including New Zealander Cindy Low, will never operate again and will be demolished, the owner of the Gold Coast theme park says.

Ardent Leisure chief executive Deborah Thomas says the only respectful thing to do in the wake of last month's tragedy is to dismantle the Thunder River Rapids ride for good.

"Out of respect for the memories of Cindy Low, Roozi Araghi, Kate Goodchild and Luke Dorsett, and their deeply affected families, the ride will be permanently decommissioned," she said in a statement on Wednesday.

"The closure of the ride is the only respectful and appropriate course of action."

Ms Thomas also suggested it could be some time before the park is fully operational again.

"No ride at Dreamworld will operate until the Workplace Health and Safety Audit has been completed and unless it passes the multi-level internal and external review process," she said.

That process has been expanded to include an external review by Pitt & Sherry, a mechanical engineering firm that specialises in amusement rides and devices.

Ms Thomas said the company would review all rides and their operating systems at both Dreamworld and Whitewater World.

The Pitt & Sherry review is already underway.

It's proceeding alongside Dreamworld's internal review of what went wrong with the ride, and an exhaustive police investigation for the coroner.

"In addition to these reviews, Dreamworld remains committed to working closely with the Workplace Health and Safety Queensland team," Ms Thomas said.

She also said the families of the victims would be invited, at an appropriate time, to discuss "a fitting and permanent memorial to their loved ones".

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon