You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Drought classification extended

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 30/06/2016

The eastern South Island's medium-scale drought classification is being extended to the end of the year.

Primary Industries Minister Nathan Guy says that means extra funding of up to $88,000 will go to drought recovery co-ordination and the five rural support trusts in the area.

"This will be the longest period of time a classification of this type has lasted," he said.

"This will mean the area has been in drought for nearly two years, since its initial classification on February 12 last year."

The extra funding brings total government assistance to $538,000.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon