You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Duco directors split, Parker unconcerned

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 13/05/2017

Duco events directors Dean Lonergan and David Higgins. © Photo by Shirley Kwok/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images Duco events directors Dean Lonergan and David Higgins. The promoters of Kiwi boxer and WBO heavyweight boxing champion Joseph Parker are set to go their separate ways.

Duco Events directors David Higgins and Dean Lonergan, who signed Parker soon after he turned to professional boxing in 2012, announced on Saturday they would divide their business interests and work separately.

The Auckland-based company, which organises sporting and black-tie events, has helped put together the NRL Auckland Nines and the Brisbane Global Tens rugby tournaments.

It has also helped guide the 25-year-old Parker, who claimed the vacant WBO belt in December, to the upper echelons of the boxing world.

Australian welterweight Jeff Horn is also contracted to Duco.

The pair were quick to stress in a statement that the day-to-day operations of the business would not be affected by the divorce.

Rumours had been rife in recent weeks of a breakdown in the pair's working relationship, but they were also quick to praise each other.

"We had a great journey and produced some amazing results but we both agree it's time to go our separate ways," Higgins said.

Lonergan made similar remarks, saying he wished Higgins all the best.

Parker said he was unruffled by the separation, as lucrative bouts in the United States and England were on the horizon.

He recently defeated Romanian Razvan Cojanu in a hastily organised title defence in Auckland via unanimous verdict.

"I'm really happy with where my career is at," Parker said.

"We've already done a significant amount of work preparing for my next fight and I'm really looking forward to it.

"For me, it's business as usual."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon