You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Ex-principal facing child sex offences

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 15/06/2016

A former Canterbury primary school principal facing historic child sex charges has admitted some indecent assault offending took place.

Interim name suppression for Michael William Hogan lapsed when he appeared briefly in Christchurch District Court on Wednesday.

The 54-year-old pleaded not guilty to nine sexual violation charges, but did not enter pleas for six indecent assault offences.

His lawyer, Grant Tyrrell, told the court his client "acknowledges that indecent assaults occurred" and therefore surrendered bail.

Hogan could not enter pleas on the indecent assault charges until they had been changed or amended by the prosecutors, Mr Tyrrell said. It's alleged Hogan assaulted a boy under 16 in the South Island between 1990 and 1995.

He was the principal of a primary school near Christchurch until the end of last year but the charges do not relate to his time at the school.

Hogan was remanded in custody and will next appear in court on August 15 for a review hearing.


image beaconimage beaconimage beacon