You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Filipo case leads to Wgtn Rugby review

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 5/10/2016
Losi Filipo © Getty Images Losi Filipo

Wellington Rugby is reviewing its recruiting, contracting and player monitoring processes in the wake of the Losi Filipo controversy.

Filipo, 18, and the union last week mutually agreed to end the player's contract.

Termination followed a public and media backlash after publicity over the winger's discharge without conviction in August after pleading guilty to assaulting four people, including two women.

Wellington Rugby said on Wednesday that it was looking closely at how it handled the matter.

"In that regard we are seeking a strong independent voice to lead the review and will establish robust terms of reference for that review," it said in a statement.

"Wellington Rugby is open to change, committed to doing things better in the future, and determined to ensure the organisation follows best practice should any similar cases emerge in the future."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon